It has never been more important for kids in preschool to learn to wash their hands regularly and properly. The main activity scientists have said that the first line of defense against the spread of deadly diseases like COVID19 is to thoroughly and regularly wash your hands.
What is the Trick to Getting Preschool Kids to Wash Their Hands?
Kids going to a Christian preschool like Covenant Schools are way too young to fully understand the consequences of the virus or why it is so important to wash their hands. That is why it is incumbent on teachers and parents to come up with ways to make sure they are doing what is necessary to try to keep their hands clean.
Knowing When, How Often
Kids in a public or locally-owned preschool will need to be told when and how often to wash their hands. It can be hard to expand the routine beyond trips to the bathroom. Other times preschoolers need to be washing their hands include:
- Before and after they eat
- After the sneeze, cough, or blow their nose
- After they throw something away or touch garbage
- When their hands become sticky or dirty
- After being around someone who is sick
- After feeding, touching, or playing with a pet
The five steps to properly and thoroughly washing your hands as recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) includes:
- Wet hands with clean warm or cold running water, turn off the tap and apply soap.
- Fully lather up your hands, front and back, between the fingers and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands with the soap on them for at least 20 seconds, or about the time it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song twice in a row.
- Rinse hands well under clean running water, warm or cold.
- Thoroughly dry hands using a clean towel or through air drying.
Contact Covenant Schools with Any Questions
We are committed to making sure your children are always learning, safe, and loved during their time at Covenant Schools. Each program promotes their God-given curiosity and desire to learn, allowing them to develop healthily through every stage of childhood. Let us welcome you and your child to Covenant Schools, the Christian preschool Albuquerque loves. Contact us to set up a tour of our school.